Barge tragedy: FIR against its captain, others | India News
The Indian Navy carries out search and rescue operations for the missing crew members of the barge P305, off the coast of Mumbai. (PTI photo)
MUMBAI: Police registered an FIR against the captain of the barge P-305 and some other people after it sank in the Arabian Sea five days ago during Cyclone Tauktae, in which at least 49 of its personnel were killed, said a official on Friday.
The case was registered under section 304 (2) (wrongful death not equivalent to murder), 338 (causing serious harm to any person through reckless or negligent act) and 34 (common intent) at the police station of Yellow Gate here. Rakesh Ballav, the captain of the barge, and others have been appointed to the FIR, a Mumbai Police the spokesman said.
The case was registered on the basis of the complaint filed by Rahman Hussain Shaikh, the barge’s chief engineer who was among the survivors of the incident, he said.
Of the 261 staff members on the barge that sank Monday, 186 had been rescued as of Thursday, authorities said. The bodies of 49 people have been recovered and the Navy and the coastguard they have been conducting a search for the 26 missing personnel from the barge and 11 from the anchor Varaprada, they had said.
Three barges and an anchor handling boat deployed by the private contractor Afcons for a project they were doing Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), and a state-owned drillship had lost anchor and went adrift.