5 states have the highest number of active Covid-19 cases in India: government
Five states in India have contributed nearly 62% of the country’s active coronavirus disease (Covid-19) cases, amounting to 254,254, the Union’s ministry of health and family welfare said on Saturday. Kerala, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal and Chhattisgarh, the Health Ministry said, together contributed 157,106 to the country’s current active case count.
Click here for full Covid-19 coverage
Kerala with 65,381 cases, Maharashtra with 54,045, Uttar Pradesh with 14,260, West Bengal with 11,985 and Chhattisgarh with 11,435 infections had added the bulk of the country’s number of cases, the Health Ministry said. Among all the states and territories of the Union (UT), only six have active cases exceeding 10,000, of which only two, Kerala and Maharashtra, have more than 50,000 such cases, data from the Ministry of Health shows. The count in the other four states (Karnataka is the other), meanwhile, is below 15,000.
Here’s a look at these states that have the highest number of active Covid-19 cases in India:
1. Kerala: The southern state is the only one with more than 60,000 active cases of Covid-19 in the country. It has reported 760,933 cases so far. This means that active cases contribute 8.60% of the total confirmed cases in Kerala. In addition, more than 3,000 people have succumbed to the disease in Kerala, the fifth most affected state in the country.
2. Maharashtra: With almost 2 million cases of Covid-19, the Maharashtra count is almost double that of the second most affected state, Karnataka. Active cases in 54,045 contribute 2.80% of the total number of cases in the western state.
3. Uttar Pradesh: The most populous state in the country, with a population of more than 200 million, has reported almost 600,000 cases of Covid-19 so far. A total of 14,260 active cases means that there are currently 2.43% active cases in the state.
4. West Bengal: The eastern state, whose handling of the Covid-19 pandemic has been a point of friction between the Center and the state government, has recorded more than 550,000 cases so far. A total of 11,985 active cases contribute 2.17% of the state’s total Covid-19 cases.
5. Chhattisgarh: The central state has almost 280,000 cases of Covid-19 of which 11,435 are active. This gives Chhattisgarh 4.09% active cases of its total count.