Covid-19 updates: US reports first case of new variant, Indonesia bans entry of foreigners – coronavirus crisis
The United States, along with Chile, has become the latest country to report cases of the new strain of the coronavirus, which was first detected in the United Kingdom in mid-December. According to a study by Public Health England, the new variant does not cause more serious illness than other variants of the virus. Earlier, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson had approved putting more regions of the country under the highest level of restrictions, also known as level 4. The country’s health chief further warned that England is “back in the eye.” from the Covid-19 storm. with as many patients in the hospital as during the initial peak in April.
Here are the latest updates on the new Covid-19 variant:
1. The United States reported the first case of the variant in Colorado. State officials said the variant was found in a man in his 20s who has been isolated in southeast Denver in Elbert County, adding that he has no travel history. Dwayne Smith, Elbert County director of public health, said there was a second suspected case of the new variant in the state, according to Colorado Politics.
2. On Tuesday, six cases of the new variant were detected in India, prompting the government to direct genome sequencing of samples from all passengers who arrived in the country between December 9 and December 22 and tested positive for coronavirus o they were symptomatic. The Union Health Ministry added that the six infected passengers were in isolation and their close contacts were being traced.
3. The Commercial Pilots Association of India wrote to the Director (Operations) of Air India asking for details on the variant. “We demand that the company obtain information from the laboratories and immediately inform all pilots who have tested positive for Covid and pilots who may test positive in the future if they are infected with this most lethal variant of SARs-CoV-2,” the association said in the letter.
Also read: States struggle to locate hundreds of returnees from the UK
Four. Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said the national capital is ready to tackle the new variant of Covid-19 detected in the UK. Delhi’s daily Covid-19 count has been below the 1,000 mark for five consecutive days with 703 new cases reported on Tuesday. More than 84,000 coronavirus tests were performed in the last 24 hours.
5. Chile registered its first case of the British variant of Covid-19 on Tuesday, prompting authorities to reinstate a mandatory quarantine period for all visitors entering the country from abroad. The Chilean Undersecretary of Health, Paula Daza, said that a Chilean woman who returned on December 22 tested positive for the variant. He added that Daz said the woman had traveled to London to visit family, adding that she was asymptomatic, in quarantine and in good health.
Read also | Covid-19: what you need to know today
6. Indonesian Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi said visitors from abroad will be banned from entering the country for a period of two weeks to avoid the potentially more contagious new variant of Covid-19. The new order, which will take effect from January 1, comes after the government banned the arrival of passengers from the UK and tightened the rules for those arriving from Australia and Europe.
(With contributions from the agency)