Encounter with Nagrota: India detains Pakistani envoy in J&K plot
India summoned Pakistan’s highest-ranking diplomat in New Delhi on Saturday and protested an attempted attack by the UN-designated terror group Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) which was thwarted by security forces in Jammu and Cashmere.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs summoned Aftab Hassan Khan, charge d’affaires of the Pakistani high commission, and demanded that “Pakistan desist from its policy of supporting terrorists and terrorist groups operating from its territory and dismantle the terrorist infrastructure operated by teams terrorists to launch attacks in other countries, ”according to an official statement.
Read also | Nagrota attack: MEA expresses ‘serious concern’, says attempt to derail DDC election
Khan was told that the Indian government is “firmly and resolutely committed to taking all necessary measures to safeguard its national security in the fight against terrorism.”
On Friday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that security forces in Jammu and Kashmir had foiled a JeM plan to “wreak great havoc and destruction” by killing four members of the group and seizing a large cache of weapons and explosives. The four terrorists were shot dead during a three-hour shooting on the Jammu-Srinagar highway on Thursday.
The statement said that the security forces had foiled a “major terrorist attack” in Nagrota, and that initial reports indicated that the attackers were “members of the Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM), a terrorist organization outlawed by the United Nations and various countries. ”.
The huge cache of weapons, ammunition and explosives seized on Thursday indicated “a detailed planning of a major attack to destabilize peace and security in the union territory of Jammu and Kashmir, in particular, to derail the ongoing democratic exercise of conducting the development of the local district municipal elections ”, he added.
“The Government of India expressed serious concern over the continued terrorist attacks by JeM against India,” the statement said.
India’s long-standing demand that Pakistan “comply with its international obligations and bilateral commitments not to allow any territory under its control to be used for terrorism against India in any way” was reiterated to Pakistan’s Chargé d’affaires.
The statement said that the JeM has been a part of several attacks in India in the past, including the suicide attack in Pulwama in February 2019 that killed 40 Indian soldiers and sparked a clash between the two sides. India had carried out an airstrike on a JeM facility in Balakot in retaliation for the suicide bombing.
On Friday, Pakistan rejected the accusations made by the Indian prime minister, saying they were part of “desperate attempts by India to divert international attention” from the situation in Jammu and Kashmir. A statement issued by the Islamabad Foreign Ministry also accused India of being involved in “state sponsorship of terrorism against Pakistan.”
“It is clear that India has stepped up anti-Pakistan propaganda, after Pakistan submitted the dossier that provides irrefutable evidence of state sponsorship of terrorism by India,” he said, referring to a dossier that was released earlier this month by civilians and military leadership.
Pakistan claimed that the file contained evidence of the alleged involvement of Indian intelligence agents in acts of terrorism, but India dismissed the accusations.
Sameer Patil, a fellow for international security studies at Gateway House, said Pakistan still has control over the terrorist infrastructure that can be used against India.
“Pakistan has used Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) alternately as the situation demands. With the focus now on LeT and Hafiz Saeed, the JeM could be used and this group has a history of carrying out spectacular attacks. Pakistan retains the ability to alter the status quo, both in Jammu and Kashmir, and within, ”he said.