Delhi University Submits 3 Subjects Without UGC Consent, 75 Students Face Uncertain Future | India News
The Delhi College of Arts and Commerce (DCAC) started three new courses: BA (Honors) [H] Hindi, BSc (H) Computer Science and BSc (H) Mathematics in the current academic session and admitted 75 students.
Of the 75 students, 32 were enrolled in BA (H) Hindi, 23 in BSc (H) Computer Science, and the remaining 20 in Mathematics.
DCAC Director Anuradha Gupta, in an email sent to UGC on September 7, requested permission to start the three new courses. However, the university went ahead with the admissions process even before receiving a response from the UGC.
In fact, Gupta’s predecessor, Rajiv Chopra, had also requested the UGC on May 24, 2017 to grant funding and sanction positions for the introduction of these three courses at DCAC.
In its response in August 2018, UGC had refused to bear the additional costs. He said the university could offer the three new courses approved by the University of Delhi within its existing sanctioned force of teaching and non-teaching staff.
“The UGC will not assume any additional financial responsibility for such courses,” said the UGC in its response.
The same sequence of events has also been repeated this year. The only difference is that Chopra did not start all three courses without permission from the UGC, but his successor went ahead with the plan.
Srikant Pandey, Associate Professor of Political Science at DCAC, filed a complaint with the UGC alleging that the university administration had illegally diverted some positions to start the three new courses, objecting to the capricious way in which admissions were carried out this year. . .
In an email to the UGC president on Oct. 9, Pandey, as one of DCAC’s stakeholders, sought to draw the funding agency’s attention to the alleged wrongdoing.
He said DCAC had 34 sanctioned assistant teacher positions under the OBC expansion scheme to restore the ratio of taught teachers. The first tranche of UGC funds had already been distributed to existing departments.
“However, the second tranche has been used to open new courses, which has completely diluted the purpose of restoring the teacher-taught ratio according to the standards stipulated by the University (of Delhi) / UGC,” said Pandey.
He claimed that due to the DCAC administration’s decision, not only had the teacher-to-teaching ratio become a victim, but existing departments had also started to suffer from a teacher shortage.
“In light of the aforementioned objective facts, I request to your good office that you investigate the matter and take the necessary actions so that the stated affirmative action policy is not affected by irrational and illegal decisions of the persons involved,” Pandey wrote in his complaint to the UGC.
In response to letters from both the DCAC director and associate professor, the UGC expressed its inability to approve DCAC to start the three new courses.
In a letter dated November 11, UGC education officer Shalini said: “I am directed to inform you that the second tranche has been sanctioned to the university to cover the teaching workload due to the increase in student admission. for the implementation of the OBC expansion scheme in existing courses.
“Therefore, these positions should not be considered to start new courses. Therefore, UGC regrets its inability to approve the college’s proposal for the beginning of new courses with the positions sanctioned under the second tranche of the OBC expansion scheme. “.
Despite adverse comments from the UGC, the DCAC director is fighting back. Speaking to timesofindia.com, Gupta said: “I cannot comment because I have not received the letter yet.”
When asked what his response would be after this letter reached him, he said: “These courses were approved by DU. My predecessor promised that courses that have been approved by DU will start at DCAC. ”
Second, he said, DCAC would not use the UGC fund to run the three new courses.
Defending his decision to launch the courses, Gupta said emphatically: “We started all three courses only after DU approved them. We cannot start a new course without permission from DU. You can consult the DU portal. We follow their guidelines. ”
Meanwhile, the controversy seems to have put the careers of the 75 students in these three courses at serious risk. They are unaware that their courses were introduced this year or the risk they face. The three students contacted by timesofindia.com were horrified by shock and fear of the future.
Ritika Sharma, a first-year Bachelor of Computer Science (H) student, said she was unaware that the course had been introduced this year. “Now our career is at stake. Our future is also uncertain. What will happen to us if the course is discarded? I’m worried about that, ”she said.
Somya, a first-year math (H) student, said: “If the course is discarded, we will not only lose money, but also a precious year. Who will make up for that? ”
Hindi (H) freshman Soyab Khan appeared to be tense about his future. Soyab, a Mewat resident in Haryana, said if she had known the course was introduced this year, she would have changed subjects or universities.
Concerned about his prospects, he asked a series of questions. Can I change the subject? Can I study History or Political Science? How do I change my course? Will I have to visit Delhi and meet with the director to change my course? What if the course itself is discarded? ”
Once the other students learn
Certainly difficult questions whose answers remain uncertain at this time.