Covid-19: Wedding planners and merchants anxious, but many say restrictions are needed
The Delhi government’s decision on Tuesday to limit the number of wedding guests to 50 and its decision to gain powers from the Union government to block select markets has drawn mixed reactions from merchants and event planners.
While several banquet owners regretted the missed opportunity to recoup losses incurred during the March 25 shutdown and said the decision could obstruct the capital’s economy recovery, others appreciated the government’s initiatives and said they were very important steps. necessary in light of the magnification. in the cases of Covid-19.
Between Nov.1 and Nov.16, more than 101,000 Covid-19 infections were added to the Delhi tally. In this period, the city recorded the most infections (8,593 on November 11) and deaths (104 on November 12) during a single day.
The proposal to limit the number of guests was sent to Lieutenant Governor (LG) Anil Baijal, who chairs the Delhi Disaster Management Authority (DDMA) for approval.
With just one week left until the wedding season begins, the auspicious period for weddings this year is between November 24 and December 12, banquet and hotel owners were looking to stay afloat to make up for losses suffered during the wedding season between April and June due to blocking.
Also Read: Delhi Will Get 9,500 Equipment For Door-to-Door Surveillance Outside Containment Zones, Contact Tracing
On Tuesday, the hotel and banquet owner associations began receiving panic calls from customers and some of the associations even met with the Minister of State for Home Affairs, Nityanand Rai, and urged him to intervene.
Sandeep Madan, Vice President of Community Welfare Banquet Association, said: “We had a meeting with Rai ji, as the Delhi government’s proposal to restrict the number of guests will ruin us. We have called our workforce from the villages as we finally got back into business. This decision will have an adverse impact on the 10 lakh livelihood of families associated with the wedding industry. ”
There was no response from the Interior Ministry to calls and messages seeking his comment.
As of October 31, the DDMA had allowed 200 guests at weddings and related functions. Since then, banquet halls and hotels have been accepting reservations accordingly, they said.
“Our clients have distributed wedding invitations. We have placed orders keeping the limit of guests increased. How are we supposed to work? Madan said.
A delegation from the Delhi Tent Owners Federation went to meet the CM on Tuesday afternoon to ask him to reconsider the decision, but were unable to meet with the CM.
Pankaj Shokeen, Secretary General of the Delhi Tent Owners Federation, said: “The CM did not meet with us. We will ask LG to reconsider the matter as it will have serious financial implications for the industry. Some of us have taken out loans or borrowed money at high interest rates to make arrangements. If the numbers are limited to 50, we will be ruined. “
Their concerns were shared by traders, although the government has insisted that these new restrictions should not be seen as a “blockade.”
Click here for full coverage of the Covid-19 pandemic
Brijesh Goyal, president of the chamber of commerce and industry, said: “Traders are anxious after Tuesday’s announcement. On Wednesday we will hold a videoconference with more than 200 market associations in which we will be recording the opinions and opinions of traders, which will be sent to the prime minister’s office. We will also discuss measures related to social distancing, appropriate Covid-19 behavior, and precautions that can be taken to avoid the temporary closure of any market. “
Ajay Bajaj, advisor to the Karol Bagh merchants federation, said: “We support the Delhi government in this. The Covid-19 situation in the city has gotten out of hand and poses a great risk to anyone. Such restrictions are unavoidable at this time. “