|  |  | 

India Top Headlines

India and China Exchange Serious Proposals for Disengagement from LAC | India News

img-responsive

NEW DELHI: After seven rounds of meetings between Indian and Chinese military commanders in eastern Ladakh, the two sides have exchanged serious withdrawal proposals that are currently being studied by the highest echelons of the Indian government.
Although sources are silent on development, India is believed to be seeking a “comprehensive” disconnect, covering all sticking points throughout LAC and addressing future issues. While the disengagement discussions have been ongoing for some time, the current discussion is seen as a serious move between the two sides. The proposals have been discussed in the China Study Group at its last meeting and are still being deliberated.
Addressing an online conclave on Thursday, Foreign Minister S Jaishankar hinted that something was afoot. “The discussions are underway, what is happening is something confidential between us and the Chinese,” he said when the moderator of the Bloomberg India Economic Forum pressed him to give a clear status of the border situation. “There is not much I am in a position to say in public. I certainly don’t want to prejudge him, ”he added.
There is no certainty that this could lead to a breakthrough, but it is a significant development and comes after India gained tactical advantage in the heights around Pangong Tso, thus changing the equations on the ground. It comes after the government decided to send senior MEA official Naveen Srivastava to the border talks. Srivastava was a surprise presentation in the sixth round, and in the seventh, the Chinese Foreign Ministry also sent its representative.
The development also recognizes a bitter reality: a deep winter environment that is already imposing human costs on both sides.
The official MEA reading after the latest round described the talks as “positive and constructive”, adding that it was the second time that both sides had issued a joint statement, indicating convergence.
“This is the second joint press release issued after the one issued after the previous round. The two sides have a better understanding of each other’s positions. Withdrawal is a complex process that requires the redeployment of troops on each side to their regular posts on their respective sides of LAC, ”the MEA had said.
So far, the talks have managed to establish local measures to avoid clashes and outbreaks. What they are talking about now is a deeper disconnect. India has made it clear that de-escalation (troops and equipment returning to their bases) could only take place after a total disconnection of all friction points.
India would like to retain the military advantages it has gained in the area. It is not yet clear how the disconnection process will unfold. India would be willing to avoid a situation similar to that of Doklam, where the Chinese piled up after disengagement in the fighting areas.

Original source

india-and-china-exchange-serious-proposals-for-disengagement-from-lac-india-news

ABOUT THE AUTHOR