Defense Ministry Document Details PLA Intrusions in May | India News
“The Chinese side transgressed in the areas of Kugrang Nala (near Patrol Point-15, north of Hot Springs), Gogra (PP-17A) and the north bank of Pangong Tso from May 17 to 18,” a new document, uploaded to the Defense Ministry website on Tuesday, he said.
The word ‘transgression’, used by India as a euphemism for ‘intrusion’ through the Royal Line of Control (LAC) with China, has not been mentioned in any official statement or document since the military confrontation broke out after the first confrontation between rival troops. on the north bank of Pangong Tso from May 5 to 6. The document said that the confrontation could be prolonged and that the evolving situation could require immediate action.
Defense Minister Rajnath Singh, in a television interview in late May, had said that a considerable number of Chinese soldiers had “gone a little further than they used to do before.” But it was officially clarified that it should not be “misinterpreted as Chinese troops entering the Indian side of LAC.”
After bloody clashes in the Galwan Valley on June 15, which left 20 Indian soldiers and an unknown number of Chinese soldiers dead, the Foreign Ministry said the Chinese attempt to erect structures “on the other side of LAC” had provoked clashes. The MEA also said that China had hampered “traditional” Indian patrol patterns.
Subsequent statements from the MEA emphasized the need to restore the status quo through the early and complete withdrawal of troops “throughout LAC” and the reduction of escalation in accordance with bilateral agreements and protocols.
TOI has been reporting since May that PLA soldiers have entered Indian territory at multiple points in eastern Ladakh. The Defense Ministry document, which recounts the “main activities” undertaken in June, uses the word “transgression” to describe Chinese aggression in LAC since May.
After the Chinese transgression, the first body-level commander-level talks were held on June 6 to calm the situation, but the “violent confrontation” took place on June 15, “resulting in casualties on both sides,” said the government.
Taking note of the second corps commander-level talks on June 22, he said: “While engagement and dialogue at the military and diplomatic level continue to reach a mutually acceptable consensus, the current standoff is likely to drag on. The situation in eastern Ladakh stemming from China’s unilateral aggression remains delicate and requires close monitoring and swift action based on the evolving situation. ”
As reported by TOI previously, the fifth round of corps commander-level talks on August 2 failed to break the deadlock over the stalled troop withdrawal in the Pangong Tso area, where a large number of PLA troops have occupied the 8 km stretch from ‘Finger-4’ to ‘Finger-8’ (mountainous spurs protruding into the lake) from May.
A smaller number of PLA troops have not withdrawn from PP-17A in Gogra. The PLA has also remained uncompromising about its deep intrusion into what India regards as its territory in the strategically located Depsang-Daulat Beg Oldie sector.
Sources reiterated Wednesday that more military talks, with greater political-diplomatic intervention, will be required to break out of the stalemate. “There was no meeting place during the August 2 military talks. Both sides did not agree with the other’s proposals,” said a source.