Coronavirus overview: developments in India and the rest of the world | India News
NEW DELHI: The Union Ministry of Health said Saturday that it is targeting hot spots of high disease burden and working closely with states to implement rigorous contact tracking, community policing and containment strategies as the number of new coronavirus cases crossed the 900 mark in the country. Meanwhile, the number of coronavirus cases increased to 918 in India, while the number of deaths remained at 19.
These are the main developments in COVID-19:
These are the main developments in COVID-19:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the creation of an assistance and emergency fund for the “PM CARES” fund, where people can contribute and help in the government’s fight against the coronavirus.
- Scenes of migrant workers walking nonstop and many trying to get on buses to reach their destination were common in various parts of the country when the country’s closure entered on the fourth day.
- The Center requested state governments and Union Territory administrations to use the State Disaster Response Fund, which was allocated Rs 29,000 crore for the next fiscal year, to provide food and shelter to affected migrant workers for the 21 day block.
- Union Interior Minister Amit Shah said the central government has pledged all support for migrant workers during the announced 21-day shutdown to combat the coronavirus pandemic.
- Railroads have built a prototype isolation room to treat coronavirus patients by converting train cars without air conditioning.
- Lok Sabha President Om Birla asked MPs to allocate millions of rupees from his MPLADS fund to local authorities to address the coronavirus pandemic.
- Maruti Suzuki India said it plans to rapidly increase ventilator production with the intention of reaching a volume of 10,000 units per month in association with AgVa Healthcare.
- Kerala: Six new cases of coronavirus have been reported in Kerala, bringing the total number of people receiving treatment in the state for the deadly virus to 165.
- Uttar Pradesh: Six people, including an 11-year-old girl, tested positive for coronavirus in the Gautam Buddh Nagar district of Uttar Pradesh, bringing the number of such cases to 23.
- Madhya Pradesh: A Border Security Force officer in Gwalior and a man in Ujjain tested positive for the new coronavirus, bringing the number of COVID-19 patients in Madhya Pradesh to 35.
- Maharashtra: The number of deaths from coronavirus patients in Maharashtra increased to six when an 85-year-old doctor who died the previous day was confirmed to have contracted the virus. The number of coronavirus patients in the state increased to 167.
- Haryana The number of coronavirus cases in Haryana rose to 20 on Saturday, with one person testing positive for the disease in Faridabad.
- Karnataka: Ten new positive coronavirus cases have been confirmed in Karnataka, bringing the total number of affected in the state to 74
- Arunachal Pradesh: The Arunachal Pradesh government has designated the 500-bed Tomo Riba Institute of Health and Medical Sciences in Naharlagun as a dedicated center for the treatment of patients with COVID-19.
- Punjab: The Punjab government has prepared to strengthen its medical infrastructure by increasing its ability to detect coronavirus and by purchasing new ventilators. Punjab has reported 38 cases of coronavirus so far.
- J&K: Seven people tested positive for coronavirus in Kashmir, bringing the total number of cases in Jammu and Kashmir to 27.
- Delhi: Prime Minister Arvind Kejriwal called on migrant workers not to leave Delhi due to the coronavirus blockade, assuring them that their government is organizing food and shelter for them.
- Uttarakhand: A 21-year-old man, who recently returned from Dubai, tested positive for coronavirus here on Saturday, bringing the total number of cases in Uttarakhand to six.
- Andhra Pradesh: The 14th positive case of coronavirus was reported in Andhra Pradesh on Saturday.
- The number of deaths worldwide from the new coronavirus stood at 27,989 on Saturday, according to a count compiled by AFP at 1100 GMT from official sources.
- The death toll from the coronavirus outbreak in Britain has risen to 1,019 from 759 the day before.
- United States President Donald Trump invoked a wartime law to compel the automotive giant “wasting time” General Motors to manufacture life-saving ventilators, amid a shortage of critical medical equipment to deal with growing cases of coronavirus in the United States. The United States now has more than 104,000 cases of the virus, the most in the world.
- The number of deaths from coronavirus in Spain increased by more than 5,600 after a record 832 people died in 24 hours, and the number of infections increased by more than 72,000.
- Iran announced that 139 more people had died from the new coronavirus, bringing the official death toll to 2,517 in one of the most affected countries in the world.
- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the country is at a critical stage in dealing with coronavirus infections, but not at a point to declare a state of emergency. Japan has 2,180 confirmed cases, including 712 from a cruise ship, with 59 deaths.
- China’s coronavirus epicenter, Hubei province, will resume domestic flight operations starting Sunday.
- The United States has announced $ 174 million aid to 64 countries, including $ 2.9 million to India.