Closing News: All passenger, subway, interstate bus services suspended through March 31; Total closure in 75 districts Coronavirus: all passenger trains, subways, interstate bus services suspended until March 31; total closure in 75 districts | India News
The decisions were made at a high-level meeting of the top secretaries of all states and the cabinet secretary and the prime minister’s top secretary, officials said Sunday.
The districts where the closure was announced are from states that include Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Punjab, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala. State governments will issue orders allowing only essential services to operate in these 75 districts with confirmed cases or victims of COVID-19, an official with the Union Interior Ministry said.
More about Covid-19
Officials stressed that these steps were vital to end the chain of transmission.
It was agreed that there was an urgent need to extend restrictions on the movement of non-essential passenger transport, including interstate transport buses, until March 31 to contain the spread of the deadly COVID-19, they said.
List of 75 Indian districts where only essential services will be operational from tomorrow until March 31.… Https://t.co/vpiCZpeniw
– India GDP (@PIB_India) 1584879451000
It was noted that several state governments have already issued orders in this regard. All senior secretaries reported that there was an overwhelming and spontaneous response to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s call for the “Janta curfew”.
State governments may expand the list based on their assessment of the situation.
At the meeting, it was decided to suspend all train services until March 31, including suburban rail services. However, freight trains are exempt. All subway services were also suspended until March 31, officials said.
The railways announced the suspension of all its 13,523 passenger services from March 22 to midnight on March 31 and said that only freight trains will run during that time.
Suspensions also include all suburban train services.
The railways reported three incidents on Saturday, where people who asked to remain in quarantine were found traveling on trains. Of those detected in the three cases, 12 tested positive for COVID-19.
The railways had already reduced their services on Friday by canceling most of the trains. However, he had allowed all trains that had already started the journey to continue.
“No train except freight trains will operate until 2400 hours on March 31. However, a minimum of suburban services and the Kolkata Metro Rail service will continue to operate until 2400 hours on March 22. From then these services will also stop until 2400 hours on March 31, “said an Indian Railways spokesperson.
Trains that had already started their journey before 4 a.m. on March 22 will arrive at their respective destinations, the railways said, adding that appropriate arrangements would be made for passengers during the journey and at their destinations.
“To guarantee essential supplies in various parts of the country, the movement of freight trains will continue,” the Ministry of Railways said in a statement.
He added that passengers could claim a full refund for all trains canceled in this period until June 21.
“The railways have found some cases of passengers infected with coronavirus on trains, which makes traveling by train risky. Avoid traveling by train, as you can also become infected if your companion has coronavirus. Postpone all travel and stay with you and his family safe. ” He said.
The total number of new coronavirus cases in India rose to 341, while the death toll rose to seven on Sunday.
Millions of people across the country stayed indoors and the streets looked deserted on Sunday after Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s call for a ‘Janta curfew’ to stem the spread of the new coronavirus pandemic, which has been claimed more than 13,000 lives worldwide.