|  |  | 

India Top Headlines

Nirbhaya Case Latest news: The Delhi government moves to court seeking a new date for the execution of 4 convicts of the Nirbhaya case Delhi News


NEW DELHI: On Wednesday, the Delhi government moved a court to this place in search of a new date for the execution of four convicts in the case of rape and group murder of Nirbhaya in 2012.

Additional Sessions Judge Dharmendra Rana ordered convicts to submit their response before Thursday.

The Delhi government told the court that all the legal remedies of the convicted have been exhausted and nothing survives now.

The attorney for the prosecution said no notice was required.

In issuing the notice, the court said that the principles of natural justice are part of Article 21 (right to life and personal freedom) of the Constitution and the sacrosanct principle of “Audi alteram partem” (listen to the other side) cannot be ignored.

President Ram Nath Kovind rejected Pawan Kumar Gupta’s request for mercy, one of the four men facing the gallows in the case, an Interior Ministry official said earlier that day.

The court had postponed Monday until the suspension of those convicted was scheduled for Tuesday.

On February 17, the trial court issued a new date, on March 3 at 6 am, for the execution of the execution orders of the four convicted: Mukesh Kumar Singh (32), Pawan (25), Vinay Sharma (26) and Akshay Kumar Singh (31) – in the case.

The execution of his death orders has been postponed three times so far due to delays in the exhaustion of legal remedies. All those convicted in the case will be hanged together.

The president has already rejected the mercy requests of Mukesh, Vinay and Akshay.

A 23-year-old physiotherapy intern, known as ‘Nirbhaya’ (without fear), was raped in a group and wildly assaulted on a moving bus in southern Delhi on December 16, 2012. She died after a fortnight.

Six people, including the four convicted and one minor, were named as defendants. Ram Singh, the sixth defendant, allegedly committed suicide in Tihar jail days after the trial began in the case.

The child was released in 2015 after spending three years in a correctional home.

Reference page