Three dead and 11 injured in explosion in eastern Afghanistan: Police
“A motorcycle with a bomb exploded during a football game,” said Sayed Ahmad Babazai, chief of police in the eastern province of Khost, when giving toll details.
Abdul Fatah Wakman, president of the Khost Football Federation, told AFP that the three people killed were brothers.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack. The limited truce between the Taliban, US and Afghan forces preceded the signing of a historic agreement between the insurgents and Washington in Doha on Saturday.
But on Monday the Taliban announced that they would resume attacks against Afghan forces, just one day after President Ashraf Ghani promised to continue the partial truce until at least the talks between Kabul and the Taliban begin, supposedly on 10 March.
Since the signing of the agreement, the Taliban have been publicly celebrating their “victory” over the United States.
The agreement establishes a schedule for foreign forces to leave Afghanistan within 14 months, subject to Taliban security guarantees and the insurgents’ commitment to hold talks with the Kabul government.
The dramatic reduction in attacks due to the partial truce last week offered Afghans a rare opportunity to continue their daily lives without fear of violence.
The insurgents’ vote to resume the attacks came a day after Ghani warned that he was not committed to a key clause in the Doha agreement that involved the release of thousands of Taliban prisoners.