Taliban news in Afghanistan: Taliban say they will resume operations against Afghan forces | World News
The statement comes only one day after President Ashraf Ghani said he would continue the partial truce until at least the talks between Afghan officials and the start of the Taliban, allegedly on March 10.
It lasted for a week before the signing of the historic agreement in Doha on Saturday, and continued over the weekend.
“The reduction of violence … is over now and our operations will continue normally,” Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told AFP.
“According to the agreement (United States-Taliban), our Mujahideen will not attack foreign forces, but our operations will continue against the administration forces of Kabul.” Fawad Aman, deputy spokesman for the Ministry of Defense, said the government was “verifying if (the truce) was over.”
“We have not yet received any reports of major attacks in the country,” he added.
Since signing the agreement on Saturday, the Taliban have been publicly celebrating their “victory” over the United States.
Under the terms of the agreement, foreign forces will leave Afghanistan within 14 months, subject to Taliban security guarantees and the insurgents’ commitment to hold talks with the Kabul government.
The dramatic fall in attacks due to the partial truce last week between the Taliban, US and Afghan forces offered Afghans a rare opportunity to continue their daily lives without fear of violence.
Ghani warned the insurgents on Monday that he was not committed to a key clause in the Doha agreement that involved the release of thousands of Taliban prisoners.