|  |  | 

India Top Headlines

Delhi clashes: how the cops lost the plot from the beginning | Delhi News


NEW DELHI: It seems that misjudgments, improper deployment and the absence of quick decisions by the police led northeast of Delhi to lose control and 42 people were killed within 36 hours. TOI spoke with several police officers whose accounts seemed to suggest that this was what happened when riots broke out last Sunday.

It was around 10 p.m. on February 22 that the first seeds of the disorder were sown. Some 600 women were seen moving along the congested streets of Jafrabad towards the Delhi metro station. However, the police did not intervene immediately. The sources said the local police assumed that the crowd was heading to an existing protest site only to realize that they had squatted in protest at the subway station, 500 meters from the alleged place.

There were very few police officers to handle the predominantly female crowd, and the police could not use force to disperse them. They did not receive any brass dispersion order, which apparently distrusted how the courts would perceive such action.

The women were joined by around 400 male protesters. A senior police officer said the core group was made up of non-local people. On Sunday morning, the force of the protesters had increased to 3,000. “While we were unable to physically eliminate them, we did not allow the construction of a dais, tents or public address system on the site,” said the officer.

At noon, the police were in a situation of capture 22. The Hindu groups announced that they would block all the way, arguing that if the other community was allowed to protest there, they should also be allowed to congregate. “We tried to reason with them, but they didn’t listen to us,” the police officer added. Very soon, the two groups began throwing stones at each other, and the police managed to control the situation only at dusk.

There are accusations that the police did not take the events seriously as justified, believing that it would be peaceful as in Shaheen Bagh. An older policeman answered this. “We made the right arrangements for February 24, when the president of the United States arrived. UU., Although the officers of the east area had been exempted. It took time to mobilize the force, but we had enough officers on the ground, ”he said.

At 9 in the morning of that day, riots had erupted. What began with the throwing of stones degenerated into arson and vandalism. Not long after, both groups resorted to firing with semi-automatic and rural-made guns. “The antagonistic groups not only attacked each other, but also the police. In some places, the police were caught in the middle, and in others it was a three-sided fight. However, there was a limited use of firearms, ”a source testified.

DCP (Shahdara) Amit Sharma and his team, accompanied by three companies, were attacked around 11 am near a mosque in Chand Bagh. While Sharma and ACP Anuj Kumar were beaten by rioters, police chief Ratan Lal was shot dead. “The challenge now was to send reinforcements to Chand Bagh,” another officer recalled. A joint commissioner was asked to hurry there with more staff. The rumors had sent large numbers to the streets in 20 locations, so he could not communicate. A DCP was trapped near Maujpur, so another Crime Branch DCP and a joint commissioner were summoned. Using the Usmanpur-Pushta route, they reached Chand Bagh and, at 4 in the afternoon, we recovered Wazirabad and the 66-foot road. ”

However, only when national security advisor Ajit Doval and special commissioner S N Shrivastava intervened, was the situation fully managed.

When asked why the force did not do everything possible against the protesters at the beginning, an officer said: “With 80,000 people per square kilometer, the northeast of Delhi is among the densest areas of the country. The groups easily mobilized 25,000 people from Jafrabad and Kardampuri in a few minutes. On December 22 of last year, more than 40,000 had gathered on the road to Jafrabad, although things happened peacefully at that time. ”

The officer added: “Each step had to be calculated. No officer withdrew. We do not allow lynchings on the main road. If the police had been reckless, the number would have been much higher. ”

Times of India