|  |  | 

India Top Headlines

Shaheen Bagh: “Police, not anti-CAA protesters in Shaheen Bagh, responsible for inconvenience to travelers” | Delhi News

NEW DELHI: Former chief information officer, Wajahat Habibullah, told the Supreme Court that the protest in Shaheen Bagh here against the Citizens Amendment Act (CAA) was peaceful and that the inconvenience caused to travelers was due to “unnecessarily” barricades placed by police on roads far from the site.

Social activist Syed Bahadur Abbas Naqvi and Bhim’s army chief, Chandra Shekhar Azad, adopted the same position in their joint statement filed with the trial court in the matter.

Habibullah, Azad and Naqvi jointly filed a request for intervention in the main court dealing with the matter.

Habibullah had visited the protest site in Shaheen Bagh according to the direction of a bank of judges S K Kaul and K M Joseph. The bank plans to hear the matter on Monday.

The higher court is listening to pleas that seek the removal of protesters from Shaheen Bagh and ensure a smooth flow of traffic in the area.

The cusp court had previously said that, although people have the fundamental right to protest “peacefully and legally,” it was affected by the blockage of a public road in Shaheen Bagh, as it could lead to a “chaotic situation.”

In his affidavit submitted to the higher court, Habibullah has stated that “Shaheen Bagh stands as a firm example of peaceful and dignified dissent, even more in the face of several cases of state-sponsored violence in similar dissidents throughout India.”

“We have been sad and mute witnesses of police brutality and the negative typecasting of a particular community throughout the country. Crushing dissent instead of engaging in dialogue is the new norm, but it is alien to our Constitution,” he said.

Naqvi and Azad, in their joint affidavit, alleged that “the current ruling dispensation, at the request of their political masters, had devised a strategy to extinguish these protests by falsely attributing violence and acts of vandalism to peaceful protesters.”

They have also said that the police have “unnecessarily” blocked numerous roads that “have no connection to the protest” and are at a great distance from the site, “abdicating their responsibilities and duties and wrongly blaming the protest.”

“It is these barricades of unconnected roads that have led to a chaotic situation,” Habibullah said, adding that if the barricades of the 10 points mentioned in the affidavit are removed, “the chaos that complained in the petition would cease.” . .

In a separate affidavit, Naqvi and Azad have claimed that the issue of inconvenience for travelers has been “deliberately orchestrated by the police” by blocking all surrounding roads, as well as the arteries connecting Delhi, Noida and Faridabad.

In addition, they alleged that one of the petitions was filed by lawyer Amit Shani, who is an active member and supporter of BJP posing as a concerned citizen, since his place of residence, office and direct route of daily travel are not close to Shaheen Bagh

Habibullah, in his affidavit, also stated that the protesters asked him to transmit to the higher court that his dissent “was out of despair and compulsion”, since they see the CAA, the National Population Registry (NPR) and the National Citizens Registry (NRC) as a “death sentence” for its survival and the existence of future generations.

The other concerns expressed by the protesters were that CAA and the intention behind this, as those in power publicly expressed, “has aroused deep fear in the hearts of many poor and disadvantaged citizens of India.”

He said: “The assembly is peaceful. The issue of their safety is also crucial. Any attempt to transfer them by force from the current site would compromise their security.”

Restrictions have been imposed on the Kalindi Kunj-Shaheen Bagh section and the Okhla underpass, which closed on December 15 last year due to protests against CAA and NRC.

The trial court was hearing an appeal filed by Sahni, who had first approached the Delhi High Court seeking instructions to the Delhi Police to ensure a smooth traffic flow on the Kalindi Kunj-Shaheen Bagh stretch, which was blocked by anti-CAA protesters last December 15. year.

Separately, former BJP MLA Nand Kishore Garg has filed a statement in the apex court seeking instructions to the authorities to eliminate Shaheen Bagh protesters.

Reference page

shaheen-bagh-police-not-anti-caa-protesters-in-shaheen-bagh-responsible-for-inconvenience-to-travelers-delhi-news

ABOUT THE AUTHOR