Shaheen Bagh news today: Tears and defiance while Shaheen Bagh protesters meet with SC interlocutors | India News
Defenders Sanjay Hegde and Sadhana Ramachandran, as well as former bureaucrat Wajahat Habibullah went to Shaheen Bagh, the epicenter of the anti-CAA protests, to talk with the women and try to find a way out of the dead end.
Many said they would clear the protest site only after the CAA, the NRC and the NPR were removed.
“The Supreme Court has confirmed their right to protest. But other citizens also have their rights and those must also be maintained,” Ramachandran told the crowd gathered at the site in southern Delhi in large numbers.
“We want to find a solution to the problem together. We will listen to everyone,” he said in Hindi.
In response to the concerns raised by women, Ramachandran said that all points will be presented to the Supreme Court and discussed in detail.
“However, I want to say one thing. A country that has daughters like you can never face any threat,” Ramachandran said.
Hegde explained in detail the order of the Supreme Court to the crowds. This was translated into Hindi by Ramachandran.
On Monday, the Supreme Court noted that the blockade of the road in Shaheen Bagh was “problematic” and suggested that protesters go to another place where no public place would be blocked. However, he maintained his right to protest.
The higher court also asked Hegde to “play a constructive role as an interlocutor” to persuade protesters to move to an alternative site. He said the interlocutors could seek Habibullah’s help.
The sit-in, which has been going on since December 16, has blocked a critical arterial road connecting Delhi and Noida, causing problems for travelers and schoolchildren.
The women, young and old, tried to explain their point of view to the interlocutors.
Bilkis, one of the ‘dadis’ fighters who has been demonstrating against the CAA since it began, declared that they would not move an inch even if someone fired a gun.
The withered old woman said that the main store where the podium was raised covers only 100 to 150 meters from the road.
“We have not blocked the entire stretch. It is the Delhi police that has blocked all the way in the name of security. Why don’t they remove it first? We never ask the police or any authority to block our roads. It is they who did it and now blame us for the blockade, “he argued.
A challenging Bilkis said they will not move until the CAA is revoked.
“They call us traitors. When we expel the British from the country, who are Narendra Modi and Amit Shah? We will not move even an inch, even if someone shoots us. Remove NRC and CAA, we will clean the site in no time,” he said. while the crowd of about 100 people cheered.
Another woman broke while talking to the mediators.
She said they are protesting to save the Constitution, but people only see the inconvenience of travelers who have the option of taking so many other roads.
“Do we not face inconvenience sitting here on cold nights, without food, taking our children to protest? We are so worried, what problems will we cause citizens?”
She said the accusations that they are not letting ambulances and vehicles have no foundation.
“The road has not been blocked by us. In fact, it is the Center that has blocked freedom in this country.”
Another woman described her ongoing protest as a mental trauma. She said they jump even at the slightest noise at night, for fear of police action.
“We cannot sleep at night and all women are afraid here. Our religion does not allow us to commit suicide, but it kills us every day. Our condition is like that of patients seeking murders for mercy,” he said.
The protest site witnessed shooting earlier this month, which caused panic.
Many women said they had been living in the area since generations.
“We are not infiltrators who will move,” he said.
The talks, which lasted almost three hours, will continue on Thursday.
On video: Shaheen Bagh: mediators appointed by the Supreme Court meet with protesters, talks to continue tomorrow