|  |  | 

India Top Headlines

Nirbhaya case latest news: President rejects convict Mukesh Singh’s mercy plea | India News


NEW DELHI: President Ram Nath Kovind on Friday rejected the mercy petition of one of the convicts in the Nirbhaya gang-rape and murder case.

The Union home ministry (MHA) had earlier forwarded to the President the mercy petition of Mukesh Singh, one of the four death row convicts in the 2012 Nirbhaya gang-rape and murder case.

“The Home Ministry has forwarded the mercy petition of Mukesh Singh to the President. The ministry has reiterated the recommendation of the Lieutenant Governor of Delhi for its rejection,” the official said.

Nirbhaya convicts shifted to jail no 3 where hanging is set to take place: Tihar officials

All the four death-row convicts in the Nirbhaya gang-rape and murder case were shifted on Thursday to Tihar prison complex’s jail number three where their hanging is set to take place, a jail official said. The convicts were scheduled to be hanged on Jan 22, however, their execution had to be postponed in view of the pendency of a mercy petition by one of them.

The Delhi LG had sent the mercy petition of Mukesh to the MHA on Thursday, a day after the Delhi government recommended its rejection.

“It’s a very good thing. Our hopes have gone up after the disheartening news that the execution might be delayed,” the young woman’s father said as news came in of the rejection.

The four convicts — Mukesh Singh (32), Vinay Sharma (26), Akshay Kumar Singh (31) and Pawan Gupta (25) were to be hanged on January 22 at 7 am in Tihar Jail. A Delhi court had issued their death warrants on January 7.

However, the Delhi government had informed the high court during a hearing that execution of the convicts will not take place on January 22 as a mercy plea has been filed by Mukesh.

They were convicted and sentenced to death for raping a 23-year-old woman in a moving bus in the national capital on the intervening night of December 16-17, 2012.

The victim, who was later given the name
Nirbhaya, had succumbed to injuries at a hospital in Singapore where she had been airlifted for medical treatment.

Original source