|  |  |  |  |  | 

Headlines National News Sourced Wired

Delhi gang rape victim’s mother disturbed by SC’s decision to stay execution of accused

New Delhi, July 14 (ANI): Reacting to Supreme Court’s decision to stay the death sentence of two of the four men convicted of raping and killing a young student in Delhi on December 16, 2012, the victim’s mother said that she was deeply disturbed by the top court’s decision and demanded justice for her daughter.

“We are not satisfied with the decision and are deeply disturbed after hearing about it. I don’t know on what basis the court has stayed their execution but we want our daughter to get justice,” said the victim’s mother.

“All the four accused should get death sentence. They have committed a horrendous crime. They went beyond humanity. If they don’t deserve death sentence then who should get it?” she asked.

She vowed to continue her fight for justice and hoped that the judiciary delivers it soon.

Earlier today, Supreme Court stayed the execution of convicts Akshay and Vinay. The top court had earlier stayed the execution of two other convicts in March.

“Today the death sentence which was announced by the Delhi High Court was stayed by the Supreme Court on behalf of Akshay Kumar Singh and Vinay Sharma. Our bail application for the two convicts was also pending and has been adjourned till the next date of hearing,” said A P Singh, a lawyer for the accused.

A 23-year-old student and her male friend were attacked by six men on December 16, 2012 after they got on a private bus while going home from the cinema. Her friend was thrown to the back of the bus after being battered with an iron rod, which was later used to torture her. The couple was then thrown from the bus. The young woman succumbed due to her injuries 13 days later while battling for her life.

Last September four of her attackers were convicted after the case was fast-tracked, while a juvenile was sentenced to three years in a detention centre. Ram Singh, who is the sixth accused in this case was found dead in jail in March last year. (ANI)