Kano, Nigeria, July 7 (): A local vigilante and a security source in northern Nigeria fighting the militant group headed by Boko Haram say more than sixty women and girls kidnapped by the militant group before two weeks have escaped from their kidnappers and have returned to their burnt village.
The captives were seized on 18 June from Kummabza village in northern Borno state after an attack on the village by the insurgents of Boko Haram. The rebels have burned the whole village and killed 30 men.
The militant group is supposed to be still having more than 200 schoolgirls kidnapped on 14 April from their boarding house in Chibok town — a case that had created international crime and provoked a global operation for their freedom.
Recently, Boko Haram has strengthened women abductions in northeastern Borno state where its five-year rebellion is largely focussed.
A local vigilante, Bukar Kyari, fighting Boko Haram in Maiduguri, said that the female captives escaped on Friday while their hijackers left their base camp to make an outbreak against the police and military in Damboa, a nearby town.
Meanwhile, Bring Back Our Girls movement activists tried to protest on Sunday on Abuja’s presidential palace in another notice of the destiny of over the 200 girls kidnapped. But, security forces asked them to turn back.
Activist Aisha Yesufu told that it was 83 days from the day the girls had been abducted. She told they had been out for 68 days and nobody has listened to them.
That was the reason the group had “decided that they should just take the protest back to the President.
On Friday, 53 Boko Haram fighters, about six troops and 5 police officers were killed after the fighters made an attack in Bama town, the defense ministry of Nigeria said. Residents of the town said half of the town was burnt, including the police station.
Most of the Boko Haram’s attacks take place in the northern part of the country, in spite of the circumstance that southern half of Nigeria is Christian and the south is mainly Muslim.