London, Aug 19 (): Nearly 16 years after the death of Princess Diana, the Metropolitan Police is assessing new information it has recently received about her death.
Scotland Yard said it was “scooping” the evidence and “assessing its relevance and credibility”. Further they added that it was “not a re-investigation” into the death of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed in a Paris car crash on 31 August 1997.
The decision to examine the evidence has been taken at senior levels. Officers will have to evaluate whether the information has not been examined previously and can potentially shed new light on the deaths.
If they determine that it does, it would open the prospect of a full investigation. The move to assess the information has been approved by Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, Scotland Yard’s senior-most officer with other figures.
Scotland Yard failed to deliver details about the information, but in a statement said on Saturday that the valuation will be carried out by officers from its specialist crime and operations unit.
Princess Diana and her boyfriend Dodi Al Fayed were killed in a car crash in Paris on August 31, 1997 along with their driver, Henri Paul, Scotland Yard said.
In December 2006, the Operation Paget report said it had found no evidence that the couple were murdered.
A British coroner’s inquest in 2008 settled that their deaths were the result of “grossly negligent driving of the following vehicles and of the Mercedes.” The inquest found no evidence of murder.
The Metropolitan Police said the deaths “were carefully investigated, and examined” by the investigation held at the Royal Courts of Justice in London.
Yet, the deaths have always been combined with conspiracy theories accusing British and French intelligence services and members of British royalty of orchestrating her death.
The issue has again opened before the 16th anniversary of Diana’s death, and a little more than a month before the British premier of “Diana,” a new movie about the former princess’ life.