Mumbai, Apr 9 (): The hearing of Salman Khan’s hit-and-run case has been yet again postponed till April 29th by the Mumbai Sessions court. Previously, the hearing was postponed to April 8th from March 25th.
Regarding Salman Khan’s 2002 hit and run case, a new application has been filed in a Mumbai Session’s court by the legal team of Salman Khan. This application has been filed challenging the reframing of charges against the actor as culpable homicide and the court was to decide if the actor can be charged with culpable homicide not amounting to murder.
Earlier, he was tried by a magistrate for lesser charge of causing death by negligence (section 304 A IPC), that provides for a maximum punishment of two years in jail.
The trial had started in 2005 in the magistrate court and 17 witnesses were examined. After examining 17 witnesses, the magistrate determined culpable homicide charge was made out against the actor and transferred the case to the Sessions court for retrial.
Salman’s lawyer said, the magistrate’s order was “erroneous, bad in law and contrary to evidence on record.” He said the magistrate had failed to appreciate that Salman did not have any intention to kill anyone and the knowledge that his rash and negligent driving would kill a person and cause injury to four others.
In 2002, on September 28, Salman Khan supposedly knocked his Toyota Land Cruiser outside a bakery in suburban Bandra, killing one person and injuring four other people, who were sleeping on the pavement.
Salman had called the 2002 hit-and-run incident “an unfortunate incident beyond his control, such as an act of God.” The actor said that there was no fixed spot for the homeless, who slept on footpaths every night.
Salman argued that it was not possible for a person staying in the same area to anticipate the presence of people sleeping on a particular footpath at 2.45am.