Thane, Apr. 5 (ANI): Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithiviraj Chavan on Friday ordered a probe in the Thane building collapse.
Chavan, who announced in the state assembly that Rs. two-lakh compensation will be given to the next of kin of those who lost their lives in the tragedy, said Additional Chief Secretary rank officer will conduct a thorough inquiry into the incident.
The chief also visited the building collapse site in Shil Phata area of Thane district today.
The death toll in the building collapse has now gone up to 45.
The Daighar police in Thane have registered a case against the builders under Section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of IPC.
“We have filed a case against the owner of the building under section 304 of Indian Penal Code (Punishment for culpable homicide not amounting to murder). We are trying to find them and we will soon arrest them,” said Thane Police Commissioner KP Raghuvanshi.
The seven-storey illegal under-construction structure, located in Shil Phata area between Mumbra and Dombivli townships, collapsed at around 6.30 p.m. yesterday following which fire tenders and medical teams were rushed to the spot.
According to reports, the building had been constructed illegally in two months, and sub-standard material was used.
The injured were admitted to various hospitals including Thane Civil, CSM Civic hospital at Kalwa, Kalsekar hospital in Kalwa, while those in critical condition were shifted to Sion and JJ Hospital.
The death toll is expected to rise as relief and rescue operations are still being carried out for some are still fear to be trapped inside. (ANI)