Mumbai, Mar 24 (): Salman Khan returned to Mumbai on Sunday early morning after his health check-up in the United States to appear in court tomorrow on March 25 for black buck poaching case.
Salman Khan with other film stars Tabu, Sonali Bendre, Neelam and Saif Ali Khan were expected to appear in the court of chief judicial magistrate on Saturday to hear fresh charges against them in the 1998 black buck poaching case.
The black buck poaching case was 14-year-old when the actors were accused of poaching two black bucks in Kankani village near Jodhpur in October 1998 while shooting for Rajshri Productions’ “Hum Saath Saath Hain” in 1998.
Blackbuck is a endangered animal and poaching of the same is a punishable offence under the law. Salman Khan was charged under the section 51 of the Wildlife Protection Act and other actors, including a local accused Dushyant Singh, under the section of 51/52 of the Wildlife Protection Act and section 149 of IPC.
The accused then had filed a revision petition in the sessions court, which discharged Salman Khan from sections 27 Arms Act and section 148 of IPC whereas others were discharged of sections 147 and 149 of IPC.
The revised charges have been framed against Saif Ali Khan, Neelam, Tabu and Sonali Bendre. If proven, the actors might be sentenced to six years’ imprisonment. The next hearing in the blackbuck poaching case has now been scheduled for April 27.
Saif Ali Khan, Sonali Bendre, Tabu and Neelam arrived in Jodhpur on Friday afternoon, but Salman Khan did not turn up. He was exempted from the hearing on medical grounds.
Revised charges on Salman Khan are yet to be read out. Salman Khan’s counsel, Hastimal Saraswat, said Salman Khan was not present in the court on Saturday as he was not in the country and had gone overseas for treatment.
Sessions Judge U B Hejib has arranged the hearing for March 25, and the 47-year-old actor had been asked to be present on that day, the sources said.