|  |  |  |  | 

National News Sourced Wired

Delhi gang rape case: Govt. orders inquiry into allegations of eyewitness

New Delhi, Jan. 8 (ANI): The government has ordered an inquiry by Veena Kumari Meena, Joint Secretary in the Ministry of Home Affairs, into the allegations raised by the eyewitness of the December 16 gang rape incident regarding late arrival, non responsive behaviour of PCR Vans and other allegations to ascertain the facts and fix accountability for any lapses.

The inquiry will also look into the facts that the said bus continued to operate on the road even after challaned several times by the Delhi Police.

The committee has following terms of reference:-

It should be specifically looked as to how much time the PCR Vans took to reach the spot, whether they delayed in taking action after reaching the spot discussing the jurisdiction issue or any such other issue. It should also be enquired whether the PCR policemen took all necessary action as warranted.

It should be enquired as to how the bus in question continued to ply on the roads of Delhi even after challaned several times by Delhi Police. It should also be looked into whether any cancellation of registration of the bus and its confiscation could have been done or not. If not, then the reasons thereof.

3. The role of the Safdarjung hospital staff in dealing with the victims should also be looked into.

The recent newspaper report regarding non-responsiveness of Dial 100 Helpline to a woman reporter should also be specifically looked into and the responsibility be fixed.

The inquiry officer has been asked to submit a detailed report within seven days after inquiry into the above allegations and issues.

Delhi Police had earlier on Saturday refuted all the allegations made by the friend of the 23-year-old gang rape victim, saying there was no delay on its part and that it was not looking for any appreciation.

Joint Commissioner of Police Vivek Gogia, who gave a point-by-point rebuttal to all the allegations, said the PCR van took only 16 minutes to respond and transport victim to the hospital.

In a an interview to a private TV news channel, the victim’s friend blamed not only the passer-bys for their indifference, but also Delhi Police PCR vans for fighting over jurisdiction instead of helping them.

The man, who is the only eyewitness to the heinous crime, said that no one stopped to help them for about 25 minutes while he and his friend lay grievously injured and without any clothes on them near Mahipalpur flyover of the national capital.

He said that three police vans arrived after 45 minutes and wasted crucial time in deciding the territorial jurisdiction of the police station under which the case falls.

The medical student was brutally raped and assaulted in a moving bus on the night of December 16, 2012. She died of her injuries on December 29, 2012 in the multi-specialty Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore.

Her male friend, who was accompanying her that day, was also assaulted by the accused and both of them were thrown out of the bus. (ANI)