|  |  |  |  | 

Exclusive Headlines News Regional

Cauvery water dispute: Talk fails between the CMs of Tamil Nadu and Karnataka

Bangalore, Nov 30 (): The Supreme Court’s proposal to the Chief Ministers of Karnataka and Tamil Nadu to sit and exchange ideas to find an amicable solution in sharing the Cauvery water failed on Thursday after both the States only blamed each other forcing the Tamil Nadu chief minister J Jayalalithaa to take the fight back to the Supreme court that is likely to hear the case on Friday.

This meeting is the twenty-sixth meeting between the CMs of both the states in a more than hundred years’ long fight that neither had any goodwill nor sociability and also termed each other’s declaration to be not true.

The meeting which was held for not more than an hour as planned saw Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa walking out restless. While addressing a press conference terribly disturbed Jayalalithaa said,” Karnataka is not ready to release a single drop of water, so we shall once again take the fight to the Supreme Court”.

Responding to Jayalalithaa’s claim, Karnataka water resources minister Basavaraj Bommai termed that they did not use the word ‘single drop.’ Her statements are unproven and baseless.

Karnataka CM Jagadish Shettar while talking to reporters proclaimed that Jayalalithaa’s statement has no truth.

During the meeting Jayalalithaa made a demand to release 30 tmc ft of water to Tamil Nadu for fifteen days and another 23.4 tmc ft till the end of December, which was denied by the Karnataka Chief Minister claiming that any release will bring severe damage to his State.

“ We don’t want to put the farmers at risk by making a compromise in our drinking water needs, therefore need not force us to release water from our reservoir,” said Jagadish Shettar to  Jayalalithaa in the meeting.

Defending his statement, Shettar while talking to reporters said that they have no sufficient storage in their reservoir to release water to Tamil Nadu and Karnataka will also approach the Supreme Court and give details on their situation.