|  |  |  |  | 

Exclusive Headlines National News

Major fire breaks out in Hyderabad film set, 5 dead

Hyderabad, Nov 26 (): A child among five people were charred to death and more than twelve people were injured in a fire accident on late Sunday at Manikonda area. The incident took place at around 9 pm when the fire broke out from a temporary shed that was built by a local shooting unit, overwhelmed a nearby residential apartment, said Dwarka Tirumala Rao Cyberabad Police Commissioner.

The officer also said that it has not yet been revealed whether the people dead were the building residents or film crew members. The reason of the fire has not yet been revealed and investigation is going on, said Mr Rao.

However, the officer suspected a pile of plastic lying near the shed to be the reason for spreading the fire. Police are also suspecting that a possible short-circuit could have caused the fire.

State Home Minister Sabita Indra Reddy after visiting the spot said, ” It is a sad incident.  After a probe the cause of the fire would be revealed. “

The minister also said that Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy has ordered for a probe and also directed to provide with necessary help to the victims who lost their lives in the accident.

According to sources, a film crew had put up a set in an open place for the shooting of a TV serial adjacent to a residential apartment, at Sriramnagar Colony in Manikonda. Fire erupted from the material dumped near the set and spread to the residential apartment.  Before people hurried to extinguish the fire, thick smoke surrounded the five-storey building.

At least five families were trapped inside their flats due to the smoke coming out from the building. Even attempts by neighbours running to rescue the people before fire fighters could reach the spot turned futile as they were unable to enter the premises.

“Though it was very difficult to carry out the operation, we entered the building and could save some of the people who were trapped inside their houses,” said G.V. Narayana Rao Regional Fire Officer.