|  |  |  | 

Exclusive News World

Afghan Taliban gunmen take hostages in Kabul hotel attack

Kabul, June 22 (): Afghan Taliban gangsters attacked a popular lakeside hotel situated in the outskirts of Kabul, Afghan capital. They are holding some hostages, whom are thought to be children and women, and few have been killed, the Kabul police stated on Friday.

A number of gunmen, some of them armed with heavy machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades, attacked the lake side hotel in the capital city’s popular Qargha Lake recreation area on the late hours of Thursday night, causing gun battle for five hours.

The head of Kabul police investigation unit, General Mohammad Zahir said it would be easy to kill them immediately, but the police are afraid as there are citizens, including children and women, trapped inside. As the gun attack continued till night yesterday they waited for daylight.

Taliban claimed responsibility for this dreadful attack. Police said the gunmen have murdered some of the civilians, saying rich foreigners and Afghans used that hotel, which is found to be about 10 km from Kabul. The hostages were supposed to have big parties for the Friday religious day holiday.

Violence across Afghan has increased in recent days. Three US soldiers and many civilians were killed in sequential attacks, that occurred mostly in east Afghanistan where NATO-led services have focused their efforts during summer months.

On Thursday, President Hamid Karzai told in a special meeting of parliament that attacks by the insurgents against the soldiers and Afghan police were increasing at the time most foreign troops are preparing to leave Afghanistan by the end of 2014.

A statement from the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force stated Afghan police and civilians were targeted in the hotel attack and it received reports that there were unknown number of victims among police and civilians.

Zahir said that there was a scheduled private party for the wealthy people inside the hotel when the gun attack began. To escape from the gun shooting, many guests jumped into the lake, he said. The attack took place for more than 4 hours as dawn broke over Kabul.