Hong Kong, June 3 (Xinhua-ANI): Hong Kong’s health authority said on Sunday that the two-year-old boy confirmed with Influenza A (H5N1) on Saturday is currently receiving isolated treatment at Princess Margaret Hospital and his condition remained serious.
According the health department’s investigation, the boy had been to Anhui province with his parents from May 20 to 22, when he had no direct poultry contact. He had visited a wet market with live poultry near his residence in Guangzhou in mid-May.
The department said it is continuing the contact tracing work. Apart from the boy’s parents, it had traced contacts with the patients in the private medical clinic in Mong Kok, ambulance and Caritas Medical Center (CMC), totaling around 80 people.
Among them, two healthcare workers from CMC developed some respiratory symptoms and nasopharyngeal aspirates taken from them were tested negative for Influenza A (H5).
Earlier, laboratory tests of the boy’s parents, two health care workers of the private clinic and another patient who attended the same clinic were all tested negative for Influenza A (H5).
The boy developed fever and runny nose on May 23 in Guangdong. He came to Hong Kong on May 26 and sought medical attention from a private medical clinic in Mong Kok. Subsequently, he developed febrile convulsion and was taken to the Accident and Emergency Department of Caritas Medical Center on May 28. (Xinhua-ANI)