Pyongyang, April 18 (ANI): North Korea has said that it would continue to launch satellites and is not obliged to follow the major agreement with the United States.
According to state-run media, a foreign ministry official said that North Korea had also rejected the latest UN Security Council presidential statement that condemned its satellite launch calling it a move that has ‘grave security concerns’, China Daily reports.
North Korea would continue to develop satellite-launching skills necessary for the economic growth of the country, the official said.
He added that North Korea would continue to explore space for peace purposes.he official said that North Korea was no longer bound by the February 29 US-North Korea agreement because the Unites States had breached it with offensive acts.
According to the agreement, United States had agreed to provide the country with food aid if North Korea agreed to halt nuclear tests and long-range missile launches.
However, Pyongyang last month announced its decision to launch a satellite to mark the 100th birthday of late North Korea founder Kim Il Sung and breached the agreement.
The Security Council has also expressed determination to take appropriate action if the DPRK launched further satellites or carried out nuclear test.
China had called for more dialogue and consultations after the UN Security Council’s strong condemnation. (ANI)