Arthur says door open for Hussey to comeback from retirement

Sydney, Mar 20 (ANI): Australia coach Mickey Arthur has said they would welcome back Michael Hussey in the Test squad if the veteran decides to make a comeback following his retirement from the longest format of the game last year.

The 37-year-old, retired, absent and sorely missed from the Australian team since the Sydney Test against Sri Lanka in the first week of January, would be welcomed back into the Test side if he answered an SOS to bat middle-order for the Ashes, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.

Arthur said they would certainly listen to Hussey if he came knocking at their door, and whether the old hand, who remains in good form at domestic level, takes up the offer remains to be seen.

Meanwhile, Hussey last week brushed off questioning about whether he would consider coming to the aid of the Australian team in India if asked by captain Michael Clarke, saying he doesn’t don’t think so.

Whether he could be convinced for a one-off comeback mission in the Ashes, though, will be the source of more intrigue given Arthur’s comment on Tuesday, the paper reported.

Certainly, Hussey is still good enough. In his final Test summer, in which he made a shock retirement announcement, he scored three centuries, two against South Africa and one against Sri Lanka, leaving the international arena at the top of his game, the paper said.

In his last two Sheffield Shield matches for Western Australia, Hussey peeled off an unbeaten 99 and 96.

Arthur concedes the beleaguered Australian team dearly misses Hussey and ex-captain Ricky Ponting, but said faith must be retained in the next generation.

Arthur said he is confident of his young players, saying they are not the finished product yet but they are indeed the future of Australian cricket. (ANI)

Submit your comment

Please enter your name

Your name is required

Please enter a valid email address

An email address is required

Please enter your message

TruthDive © 2014 All Rights Reserved