Mumbai, Feb 1 (TruthDive): A court in Mumbai yesterday ordered an enquiry into the allegations of delay in the trial of Bollywood actor Salman Khan in the hit-and-run case dating from 2002. Mumbai police in their reply denied having delayed the case.
The incident happened over 10 years ago, when Salman’s SUV crashed into a bakery in suburban Bandra in Mumbai killing one and injuring four persons sleeping on the pavement.
Salman Khan was given an exception from appearing in the court personally. The actor was also excused from appearing in the court at the last hearing held on December 27, 2012, which was on his 47th birthday. Instead, on behalf of Salman, his sisters Arpita, Alvira and lawyer Dipesh Mehta appeared in a Mumbai court to file a petition that sought an exemption, which was granted.
The petitioner of the case, lawyer-activist Abha Singh said on December 27, “He (Salman) is making movies and earning money but not coming to court.”
Last December, Abha Singh filed a petition claiming that the actor was postponing the trial. Then Salman was summoned by a Bandra magistrate’s court. He also said in the court that Mumbai police had taken 24 days to serve the court summons to the actor, claiming that he had not been in the city.
Originally, Salman was accused of culpable homicide not accounting to murder. Then, the Bombay High Court reduced the charges to negligent and rash driving. The hearing in the case began in 2005 and the prosecution has observed eleven witnesses so far, in which two witnesses have turned hostile.
Salman Khna’s lawyer, advocate Dipesh Mehta said, “Salman would have to appear before the session’s court on February 11.”
The Bollywood star will supposedly have to appear in the court where he will be officially charged after a judge believed that the evidence against him is enough to charge the popular star for culpable homicide.