Karachi, Feb. 1 (ANI): The Managing Director of the Pakistan Super League (PSL) has claimed that over 50 foreign players have signed up for League, despite a warning from the international players’ association not to take part in the event due to security concerns.
MD Salman Sarwar Butt said that more overseas players were ‘likely to sign up shortly’, but refrained from revealing the names and nationalities of the reports the Daily Times.
He said that the overseas interest proved that the league, due to start on March 26, was “attractive both in terms of cricket and financial gains”.
No international cricket has been played in Pakistan since militants attacked the Sri Lankan team bus during a Test match in Lahore in 2009.
Adding to the difficulties for the PSL, the head of the Federation of International Cricketers’ Associations (FICA) warned players last week not to take part in the two-week tournament. Cricket Australia and Cricket South Africa have also refused to allow any players to feature in the PSL.
However, Pakistan last week confirmed South Africans Mike Proctor and Rudi Koertzen along with Zimbabwean Russell Tiffin had signed up as match officials.
PCB chief Zaka Ashraf has offered foreign players insurance worth 2 million dollars and up to 100,000-dollar tax free income to play in the league.
Butt said the PSL is taking the safety of each and every participant, including the audiences, very seriously. (ANI)